On November 14, 2015 the Vladimir Monomakh submarine of the Project 955 Borey class performed a successful launch of two Bulava missiles. The submarine was deployed in the White Sea for the launch. All missiles warheads are said to successfully reached their targets at the Kura test site in Kamchatka.
This may have been the second attempt to carry out a salvo launch from Vladimir Monomakh. Preparations for a test were completed in September, but the submarine returned to the port without launching its missiles. Today's launch was announced earlier this week.
For Vladimir Monomakh it is the second test launch - the first one took place in September 2014. It is also the second two-missile salvo launch of Bulava - the first one was carried out in December 2011 from the lead Project 955 submarine, Yuri Dolgorukiy. After these launches Bulava has made 25 launches, of which 16 were successful.
The Russian media quotes a source in the military as saying that the flight of the first of the two Bulava missiles launched from Vladimir Monomakh submarine on November 14, 2015 did not hit its targets at the Kura test site. The source said that the warheads did reach "the Kamchatka region", but not the designated targets. This suggests that the miss was fairly large.
Vladimir Monomakh, the third ballistic missile submarine of the Project 955 class, is expected to conduct a salvo launch of two Bulava missiles in June 2016. The first launch, in November 2015, was not successful - one of the missiles was reported to malfunction.
In fact, according to a recent report Izvestia, which quotes its sources, the second missile failed as well - the missile self-destructed at some point after launch. After the failure all missiles were reportedly removed from the submarine and sent to the Votkinsk plant for a check-up. Izvestia is hardly the most reliable sources, but there is no particular reason not to believe this report. The ministry of defense, of course, reported complete success at the time, but that appears to be incorrect.